Wednesday, January 9, 2008

All I want to do is sleep

Why is it that my child thinks that 5:45 a.m. is an appropriate time to wake up? I realize that by that time he's gotten a full night of sleep so he's ready to go for the day but sadly, his mother is not.

I'm not at my best when it's still dark out. Unfortunately, he is.

You have never seen a happier or more talkative child at the crack of dawn. He is full of smiles that make me feel guilty for wasting them by wanting to sleep. I long for the moment a few hours later when I start to see his hands rub his eyes in the international baby signal for "I'm tired" and eagerly bring him to the bathroom to let the fan lull him to a morning nap just a little bit quicker.

Oh, and then the joy when he finally goes down for a nap. Maybe, just maybe I too can get some sleep. Alas, once again, just a half hour nap.

Better luck next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, you may have lost a lot of sleep this past while, but you sure haven't lost your sense of humour!

maybe i could meet this little cute guy that's keepin your eyelids perpetually heavy these days....

amanda (martens)

Anonymous said...

I'm going to give u one of those "it could always be worse" scenarios! When Onyx was Elijah's age he slept only with my arms around him and woke up, oh, every hour and a half or so!! I don't remember much from that time...except the violent mood swings...lol...