Friday, June 13, 2008

Looking for a car

The past few weeks have been taken up with trying to figure out what kind of car will replace my trusty 1992 Camry. It's getting to the point that things are going to start going on it and it needs to be upgraded. But, upgraded can mean a lot of things. It could mean a Civic Hybrid or it could mean a 2000 previously owned Toyota Camry.

I will admit that I have been surprised at how easy it is to justify the "next step up". If we're willing to spend A amount, then B amount is really only a few thousand dollars more. And if we're willing to spend B amount, then C amount is really not THAT much more.

It's amazing how the things that were once "wouldn't that be cool to have?" become things that we really want/believe we need. When we started looking for a car, I wanted an automatic car with AC and cruise. Last night we looked at a car with a moonroof, heated leather seats and a 6 CD changer.

The part that I really hate about this whole experience is the negotiation and interaction with sales people. I have a love/hate relationship with sales people. If the person is a little bit too smooth and wears a little bit too much cologne, I feel justified to not purchase a vehicle from them. But, if the person is really nice and helpful, I feel obligated to purchase something, anything really, from them. I have visions of them sitting at their kitchen table with their six children, not being able to provide a meal for them solely because, I, their unfortunate customer, did not purchase a car from them.

I continually have to remind myself that we still have a car that runs. (Well, two, if you count the standard sports car that isn't too practical for our 8 month old.) Regardless of what vehicle we purchase, I will not be a better friend, mother or wife. I will not be kinder or more compassionate. I need to remind myself that THOSE are the things that I want to model for my son and have as part of my life.

Well, off to look at more vehicles. Hopefully one day soon I'll be able to report that we've purchased one.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

I get the values thing. It's the same with houses. But just think of the comfort! And the passing power!! And how much easier it will be to get all your stuff in when driving out to the cottage! And how comfy the poor little guy will be! You don't want Elijah to be uncomfortable. Plus, larger cars are quite a bit safer... And hybrids! GREAT for the environment!

Anonymous said...

u should get a Suburban...great on gas(ok, that parts a lie)...lotsa room...u could like quadruple the size of your family and still have room for friends=) Or u could , u know, go hybrid or something. I hear they get fairly decent mileage. Not that i'd know first hand...it'll be a few years before we get to downsize. Happy car shopping!

peitricia mae said...

diesel, baby...major power, good for the environment (way more mileage for the same amount of fuel, plus fewer resources wasted in processing).

And don't forget: from Winnipeg to Vancouver with *one* stop to fill up in Calgary.