Sometimes we as moms just need to let go of our own expectations.
Tomorrow is the friend birthday party for Elijah. I had grand ideas of what we were going to eat and do. In the midst of the planning and doing I came across a child's birthday party on Facebook. It looked like the mom had spent A LOT of time. As a casual observer I felt the freedom to judge the ridiculous amount of time that she had obviously spent. Until I realized that while my theme was different, I was that mom.
So we're having burgers, chips and veggies. There will be no eleborate birthday cake. (Although it's not for lack of trying. Attempt #1 involved cupcakes which ended up being lopsided due to my oven not working properly. Attempt #2 involved a 9x13 cake that was going to be a rocket. Icing was made. We were ready to go. Apparently the cake did not want to come out of the pan and subsequently it came out in pieces.) So we will have a icecream cake from Dairy Queen.
The thing is, I know that Elijah doesn't care. What I make for him will not be viewed by him as a reflection of my love for him. He just wants to know that when he's hungry, there is something to eat. When he needs a hug, he wants to know that someone is there to cuddle with.
A few weeks ago he said "Mommy, I yuv you forever." I'm pretty sure that's with or without an elaborate birthday party.
1 comment:
Amen sister! Kids don't even know what's cool or not or what's homemade or not. Cake is still cake whether it's from an amazing bakery or Costco. It sounds like a fun stress free party! :0)
Post a Comment