Our latest family adventure has been getting involved in the host family program that our church has. It connects families with recent refugee arrivals to Winnipeg.
Last Sunday we got to meet our family. They are originally from Burma. They seem to be a very nice family. They have kids around our kids ages.
It was interesting to see how the kids interacted with each other. The little boy was so enthralled with all the toys that Elijah had that I'm not even sure that he realized that Elijah was there. Lillian and the little girl were just precious. At one point they were walking down the hall hand in hand. (It was all I could do to not go run and get my camera. Figured I should wait until at least the second visit to haul out my BFF.)
I anticipate that we will have many misunderstandings as they speak limited English and we don't speak Chin at all. But I'm looking forward to it. I'm excited to expand our world to see how other cultures live and experience life.
They're coming over for lunch on Sunday. At least I think that's what we arranged based on our limited language abilities. Guess we'll find out Sunday.
No comments:
Post a Comment