Friday, September 28, 2012

My son doesn't talk

It was confirmed with a phone call to Elijah's teacher yesterday.  She has yet to hear him talk.  My dear, sweet five year old is silent at school. 

It never occured to me that my kids would have different personalities than me.  My son looks so much like me.  I figured he would talk like me too.  But four weeks into school and he is still staying silent. 

He listens.  Oh he listens.  He tells me about Matman in his classroom.   And the jokes that Mr. Bell the principal tells.  He explained about cheering for Jerry Fox.  (His version of Terry Fox.  The school has been focusing on the run all week.)  But when I ask him if he says something in class he replies "Mom.  You know I don't talk."

This is harder for me than I thought it would be.  Who doesn't want their kid to fit in?  Whatever fitting in looks like.  No one wants their kids to be alone. 

And I know he's not. 

I dropped him off at daycare today and went to check something in the office.  When I came back he was playing with some other kids on the floor.  Not talking, but playing in their general area.  He'll get there.  I know he will.  I just want to get there now.

But no matter what.  I take comfort in this.  No one - not me,  not his dad,  not his grandparents -  loves him as much as God does.  And I am awed because if I, as an earthly mom, can love my son this dearly, than God knows, he's got it made.

No comments: