Monday, February 11, 2008

The making of a cake



I got a cake decorating set for Christmas.

This past weekend I went to the lake with my parents and my aunt while my dear husband stayed at home and worked on the house. I thought it would be a good chance to try out my new set.

I went to a store down the street that rents out different cake decorating pans. I decided on Strawberry Shortcake and headed home to make my cake. I made the batter and stuck the pan in the oven. It was only after the first cake I made had cooled that I found out that the inside was raw. (Apparently the toothpick-in-the-cake-coming-out-clean test doesn't always work). Cake number two was not raw but unfortunately part of it stayed stuck to the pan when I pulled it out. I was able to salvage it and cover the "flaws" with icing.

So I decorated the cake. I'm not sure it looks as much like Strawberry Shortcake as I would have hoped but I'm mostly blaming that on my lack of icing colors. (Note to those of you attempting to make red icing: #1 The color rose will never make a nice red icing and #2 more red food coloring will not make it more red, only more bitter, a lesson I learned from my mom many years ago.)

I thought that the formed pan would make it easier to decorate. I was wrong. It actually made it more challenging to try to get the correct amount of icing in the necessary bumps. Next time I think I'll just decorate a flat cake.

So I consider this attempt a success. We ate most of the cake over the weekend. I'm not sure why, but there was this weird part of me that had an issue with cutting up the face.

There's something just not right about eating a face. Maybe it's just me.

3 comments:

peitricia mae said...

That looks amazing! I remember when my mom made Ian's Superman cake - she had to get industrial strength dye for the red and blue. Nasty stuff.

Fun tidbit: blue icing turns your poop green. Good times when you're 7.

Anonymous said...

I am really impressed! Strawberry Shortcake is pretty daring for your first venture! I did not even take a picture of my first attempt at decorating! Come to think of it I still don't take pictures of my cakes!! There is a company out here that swears their dye is a true red. I am scared to try it as the last venture took me days to get off my hands. By the way I fully appreciate not wanting people to cut into your hard work...

manda said...

again i'm laughing at the "cutting up the face" comment. yeah, you got my vote on the weird factor.

i had a great time with you guys the other day, let's get together again sometime.