I'm just wondering, Is it possible to be passionate about something without being judgemental towards the opposing point of view?
I asked someone this question and they said that they thought it was. You just keep your opinions to yourself. But isn't that missing the point of being passionate? Can you be passionate about something without being vocal about it?
I got to thinking about this recently when a friend became very passionate about something that differed from the way I had done it. I understood her passion and at a different time and different place, perhaps I too would have felt that same passion. As it stood, I ended up allowing myself to feel judged because of that difference.
I wonder how often I share my views on things and end up making others feel judged. If I think that imports are the only cars to buy, does that mean that if you drive a domestic vehicle you're not quite as cool as me? If I think that I should go back to work after a year of mat leave, and you are choosing to stay home with your child, does that mean that I'm a better person? If I choose not to purchase lottery tickets because I think it helps fuel the vicious cycle of gambling issues, does that make you a bad person because you like to pick up a 6-49 every now and then?
I wonder how often I have inadvertently judged someone by my own passion without realizing how much my words could and did wound them. It makes my heart sick to think that I may have done that.
Do we give up passion to save feelings? I'm not sure.
I'm just wondering...
1 comment:
My two cents, as someone who tends towards opinionated ranting with my fingers in my ears...
Passion is fine. Even necessary to avoid becoming a bored, boring, cynical person. But you need accompany passion with love, and you need to be able to listen.
Post a Comment